4 Ways to Prevent Water Damage
The Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety (IBHS) reminds us that those annoying leaky faucets if left unchecked and unfixed, could cost thousands of dollars in damage.
Here are 4 significant ways to prevent water damage:
- Inspect Your Attic Leaky Roofs are the #1 leading cause of water damage. Musty smells, water stains on the ceiling or floor, missing shingles or damp insulation.
- Check Your Bathroom from cracked or missing caulk around tub, sinks, and toilets. Water damage from one toilet can cost $2,000-10,000.
- Keep Your Kitchen Dry by checking your refrigerator ice maker & dishwasher supply lines for kinks or cracks. Check under the dishwasher for water. Vacuum the coils on your fridge every 6 months. Proper maintenance can help your fridge to last 13 years.
- Watch Over Your Utility Room as 75% of water heaters fail before they're 12 years old and check your washer for leaks, cracks & bulges. Replace supply lines every 5 years with steel braided hose.
Every water damage situation is different and requires a unique solution, but the Water Damage Restoration Process stays the same.
Have Water or Flood Damage? Call SERVPRO of Chesapeake South Today: 757-523-9700.
Weatherizing Your Windows and Doors
Now that the fall weather is creeping in, it's important to take action now to prepare your home for that nasty winter cold. Past winters, have you ever felt a draft even though your windows and doors are closed? Chances are that you need to add or replace the seal on the windows or replace the weather stripping around the doors.
Conducting a maintenance check or inspection of your home can help minimize the risks for potential damage caused from extreme cold temperatures or winter storm conditions.
You want to caulk around cracked window seals, replace any broken windows and add weather stripping or caulk to loose window panes.
Should water damage occur due to extreme weather or a winter storm, give us a call, we’re your 24/7 Emergency Service, SERVPRO of Chesapeake South at 757-523-9700.
Top 5 Causes of Fires
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), these are the top five causes for fires:
- Candles - From 2014-2018, U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated 7,610 home structure fires that were started by candles per year. These fires caused an annual average of 81 deaths, 677 injuries and $278 million in direct property damage.
- Smoking - Smoking materials, including cigarettes, pipes, and cigars, started an estimated 17,200 home structure fires reported to U.S. fire departments in 2014. These fires caused 570 deaths, 1,140 injuries and $426 million in direct property damage. Smoking materials caused 5% of reported home fires, 21% of home fire deaths, 10% of home fire injuries, and 6% of the direct property damage.
- Electrical & Lighting - According to the NFPA, in 2011 approximately 47,700 home structure fires were caused by some sort of electrical failure or malfunction. These resulted in 418 deaths, 1,570 injuries and $1.4 billion in property damage.
- Cooking - Cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and home injuries. The leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking.
- Heating - Heating equipment is a leading cause of fires in U.S. homes. Local fire departments responded to an estimated average of 52,050 fires involving heating equipment each year in 2012-2016, accounting for 15% of all reported home fires during this time. These fires resulted in annual losses of 490 civilian deaths, 1,400 civilian injuries, and $1 billion in direct property damage.
Our SERVPRO of Chesapeake South team is always ready 24/7 if you have a fire in your home. Our professionals will begin work right away and help you get your home back to pre-fire condition.
The Importance of Fall Cleaning
Whenever you think of cleaning your house, you usually think about the typical Spring Clesning rituals. But, not everybody takes into consideration the importance of a good home fall cleaning! This is the perfect time of year to get your house ready for the cooler weather and falling leaves. Check out this handy checklist of what to do to best prepare for the fall and winter seasons:
- Check gutters, clean if needed
- Vacuum all lamp shades
- Clean and dust all light fixtures
- Wash windows of the summer stained grime and make sure they are sealed properly
- Wipe out window wells
- Wipe out kitchen and bathroom cabinets
- Test smoke & carbon monoxide detectors
- Sweep out garage
- Clean and store patio furniture
- Clean or replace shower liners
- Call SERVPRO of Chesapeake South to have your dryer vent cleaned
- Organize food pantry
- Clean your oven
- Clean out and organize closets, putting summer clothes away
If you don't want to have your house professionally and thoroughly cleaned instead, call SERVPRO of Chesapeake South for an estimate at 804.523.9700
Commercial Water Damage in Chesapeake
Flooding and water damage can strike your Chesapeake commercial property at any time. Water damage can sideline your business, regardless if the damage occurs from a major storm event or a broken water line.
At SERVPRO of Chesapeake South, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. In many instances, normal operation can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Commercial Water Restoration Presents Unique Challenges
SERVPRO of Chesapeake South professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore while working within your budget line.
Our staff are Highly Trained Restoration Specialists trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO's corporate training facility to regular IICRC industry certification, rest assured that our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Remember, when you have an emergency water event in Chesapeake our Professionals offer fast, 24 hour emergency services, 365 days per year. Call 757-523-9700.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned Helping Businesses Stay Clean
The COVID-19 pandemic has changed what it means to be clean. Being open for business is just the beginning of our new journey forward. Employees may be hesitant to return to work, and customers may wonder whether the businesses they patron are safe.
We are proud to launch Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned—a cleaning and disinfecting program that SERVPRO offers to commercial locations to address the current COVID-19 pandemic. This is a level of clean that goes way beyond janitorial or carpet cleaning. This is proactive viral pathogen cleaning. When businesses chose SERVPRO, their employees, customers, and community can rest assured that they’ve selected a “higher standard of clean”—Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned.
The Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned (CSC) program is designed to provide our communities with a way to know that a structure has been cleaned, sanitized, and disinfected to minimize harmful pathogens. If a structure is sanitized and disinfected as part of the CSC program, a window decal shield will be left at the structure, as well as a separate window decal which should be dated by the franchise to let everyone know when it was last sanitized and disinfected.
For more information, call SERVPRO of Chesapeake South at 757-523-9700
Fire Safety in the Kitchen
The National Fire Protection Association dedicates October to Fire Prevention. The leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking and the number one cause of home fires and home injuries is from cooking.
Follow these tips to keep you and your family safe:
- do no use the stove if you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol
- stay in the kitchen while boiling, frying, grilling, or broiling food
- check on food that your are simmering, baking or roasting and use a timer to remind you that food is cooking
- keep items that can easily catch fire away from the stove
- DO NOT use water to put out a grease fire - keep a lid nearby when cooking to smother the flames
- if a fire erupts in the oven, turn off the heat and keep the door closed
If you experience a fire in your home, get out! Close the door when you leave and call 911.
How To Avoid Frozen Pipes
How to Keep Your Pipes from Freezing
A home disaster is bad enough however, when several disasters happen all at once, well that’s a nightmare. When your water pipes freeze, not only do you have to call a plumber to repair them but that crack in your pipe can spew up to 250 gallons of water a day, causing flood damage, serious structure damage, and the immediate potential for mold damage.
Household water pipes can freeze quickly due to a sudden drop in temperature, or inadequate insulation surrounding the pipes or too low of a house setting with the thermostats. Fall when the temps are cooling is the perfect time to get your pipes ready and protected from old man winter.
Insulate your water pipes in your crawlspace and in your attic. Exposed pipes are vulnerable, and the more insulation, the better.
- Use approved and tested insulation products as recommended for either indoors or outdoors and make sure to follow the manufacturers’ instructions.
- Seal any leaks near or around the pipes. Caulk or insulate electrical wiring outlets, dryer vents, and cabinet pipes to prevent cold air from reaching inside your home. The least little opening during severe cold weather can cause a pipe to freeze.
- Disconnect garden hoses before winter and if you can drain water from indoor pipes that lead to outside faucets and shut off the valve. This can help prevent that little bit of inside pipe from freezing.
Learn more about insulating hot water pipes and saving energy at home from Energy.gov.
Contact us if you have water or flood damage in Chesapeake at 757-523-9700.
We Repair Hotels After Flooding
A storm can pop up anytime in Chesapeake and bring with it torrential rain and strong winds. A commercial flood and its damage can keep business doors closed indefinitely. To avoid a secondary loss, you should begin the restoration process as soon as possible.
When a hotel roof leaks and affects several rooms, the damage to the rooms can be devastating if they are not professionally cleaned and restored. No business wants the first impression from a guest stepping into their hotel room to be a musty, foul odor. Not only will the manager hear about the bad odor but there is a risk for getting bad reviews on your social media platforms.
You can avoid this type of commercial damage by hiring a professional mitigation company, SERVPRO® of Chesapeake South to clean your hotel water damage.
Once the leak has been repaired, SERVPRO® techs arrive prepared to remove moisture and water using state-of-the-art detection equipment. Our equipment can help determine where excess moisture is hidden within structures and contents.
If necessary, our trained techs will safely remove drywall, carpeting and other structural components. We will pack out items that we determine need restoration, all to be cleaned at our warehouse facility. We believe in restoring rather than replacing for businesses affected by water loss.
Once the structure is determined dry, with complete water extraction and all risks for mold growth eliminated, rebuilding can occur. Because walls can retain water moisture from a flood, cuts on the lower area of the drywall above where moisture has wicked, are removed to allow airflow behind the standing walls.
Once drying and disinfection has occurred, our techs will offer suggestions for rebuild through our Building Services. This service helps to provide the hotel management support from beginning to end and to fill those rooms with guests again.
Commercial Property Managers Safety Plan
An unexpected water main break or fire can be a devastating situation for anyone especially when there is the loss of personal property, or the issue of having to relocate. Those who live in apartment complexes, condos, or any other multi-unit property working through and dealing with the mitigation process is especially challenging. Property managers who plan to be prepared, can better assist the masses and control the situation safely to help avoid further damage.
Property management companies and their facility managers should be prepared for emergency disasters knowing the large amount of people and personal property that will be affected by the disaster. In an emergency, minutes matter and having your point of contacts information at the touch of a finger and knowing your property specifics to communicate to the emergency responders and utility companies is the keystone to helping ensure that your tenants and their family will be able to return to their homes and offices sooner.
SERVPRO of Chesapeake North wants to help make property and facility managers’ job a little easier with a specialized Emergency Ready Plan that works on all mobile devices and in conjunction with your existing contingency building plan. For example, does your plan include information of your flooring type, contact info for office managers, number of building units, electrical box locations, shut off valve locations, etc.
Your Emergency Ready Profile will provide relevant information for key personnel. Our technicians will have advance knowledge of your business specifics before arriving to the property. The ERP Plan is reassurance that you have dotted your I’s and crossed your t’s in advance.
Call us for your property and business specialized Emergency Ready Profile Report at 757-523-9700.