Fire Safety in the Kitchen
The National Fire Protection Association dedicates October to Fire Prevention. The leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking and the number one cause of home fires and home injuries is from cooking.
Follow these tips to keep you and your family safe:
- do no use the stove if you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol
- stay in the kitchen while boiling, frying, grilling, or broiling food
- check on food that your are simmering, baking or roasting and use a timer to remind you that food is cooking
- keep items that can easily catch fire away from the stove
- DO NOT use water to put out a grease fire - keep a lid nearby when cooking to smother the flames
- if a fire erupts in the oven, turn off the heat and keep the door closed
If you experience a fire in your home, get out! Close the door when you leave and call 911.