How To Prepare For Winter Storm
Tips for Preparing your Home for Winter Weather
Some people may never take the necessary steps to prepare your home for the winter storms and it could end up costing you big. Follow these steps below to be fully prepared to winter weather havoc.
- Keep cabinet doors open during cold spells. This allows warm air to circulate around pipes.
- Keep a slow trickle of water flowing through faucets, especially if the pipes for faucets run through unheated or non-insulated areas of your home.
- Consider shutting off outdoor faucets. Find the shut-off valve in the basement or crawl space and turn it to "off."
- If you follow the previous step, then open the outdoor faucet to help ensure it drains completely and the inner valve is shut off.
- Place insulated faucet covers over your outdoor faucets to prevent frozen pipes.
- Ensure gutters are clean and secure. Leaves and debris accumulate, causing a damming effect on gutters, which could lead to roof problems and water damage.
- Inspect your roof for weak areas to avoid heavy snow and precipitations from leaking into your home.
- Proper maintenance of your furnace can help reduce the risk of puffbacks.