What Are Ice Dams and How To Prevent Them
If you are a homeowner, you most likely heard of ice dams. During the icy and snowy winter months, ice dams are notorious for wreaking havoc on the unsuspecting person's home, causing water damage to their roofs and attics.
Ice dams form on the eaves of roofs from the build up of ice and snow after a storm. Eventually the ice and snow will melt and form a puddle of water that could penetrate your roof, slip under the shingles and enter your home.
How to Prevent Ice Dams
- seal and insulate your duct system
- make sure your attic and roof are properly insulated so the heat will not melt the precipitation on the roof
- clear out gutters for easy flow of water
- knock down snow build up and icicles that form on roof and gutters
- inspect your roof before the ice and snow storm for leaks and possible weak spots
Follow these steps to ensure you are taking the proper precautions when it comes to keep your home warm and dry. If you experience a water intrusion, call the professionals at SERVPRO of Chesapeake South at 757-523-9700.