Water Damage Claim Tips
There are many ways to prevent water damage from occurring, but some just cannot be predicted beforehand. Here are a few tips on ways to help protect your home and what to do when you are filing a water damage claim.
- File a Claim Quickly – The quicker you file a claim, the quicker you can get the ball rolling with your adjuster, the quicker you can get your life back to normal. Be sure to know what your policy covers! Another good tip would be to review your existing policy and talk to your local agent to make sure you understand all the provisions.
- Record Proof of Water Damage – Take pictures and videos of your water damage, preserve any broken parts that may have caused or allowed water damage to take place. This will assist in providing evidence for your insurance claim. Do NOT throw away or move anything (as much as possible) until an adjuster comes to inspect the property.
- Secure Valuables and Prevent Additional Damage – Now that your insurance has been informed, now prevent additional damage to your property! Take your surviving valuables to a safe and DRY location to keep them in good condition.
- Document All Damages – Once you have secured all undamaged valuables, you will really be able to focus on which items are damaged or not. Keep a record of what has been damaged, for your own personal records and for insurance. This will help you accurately keep track of what you own, age, current condition, how much they cost, and the value they still carry.
- Do NOT Make Permanent Repairs – Do not make permanent repairs to your property without approval from the insurance company. If you start reconstruction work without their approval, you will not be paid for those repairs. Insurance claims, especially large ones, always take time and need a lot of patience to work through before settling. You want to wait until your insurance gives you information to make sure the restoration costs are covered.
If you have a water damage, call SERVPRO of Chesapeake South at 757-523-9700 today. We are here to help!